Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Baggage, Best Friends and Bargains

We are in NYC people, what a place.

However our trip didn't get off to a such a good start because Cathay Pacific failed to transfer our luggage on our connecting flight. So we arrived in rainy, almost zero degree temperatures with  only the clothes we had on our backs. The punks told us it would arrive the night of the flight, but it didn't arrive until yesterday morning (Monday). Lucky for us, Gilly (my gorgeous friend who lives here) saved the day. She met with us on on the first night handing over warm jackets, taking us to Macy's to get some essentials and then back to her house to have a shower, steal some extra clothes and eat a home cooked meal.

So picture this, we had slept about 6 hours in two days, had killer jet lag and no luggage. Trust me it wasn't pretty.

But despite this little set back, we have had a blast so far. We are staying right near Times Square which is an incredible/crazy place. We have done a lot of shopping along 5th and 6th Ave so all your big names and we managed to find a few bargains. But I am not really interested in the chains, I am saving myself for Soho and Tribeca. In fact, I told Troy that I am never going into Macy's again, that place is a freaking nightmare. He loves it because he picked up a sweet leather jacket for $100.

Where we are staying is great because we are walking distance to a lot of the touristy spots you have to see like Rockerfeller, Museum of Modern Art and Grand Central. However, it means wherever we go we have to fight millions of other tourists and it is getting a bit old (plus all the jerks who hang around to rip them off). But we have done it and now we are going to explore the other neighbourhoods.

I won't take you through a piece by piece account of everything we have seen, I will say however that Grand Central Station has been my favourite so far, that place is just incredible.


A few pics... ( I haven't posted any of us when we were minus luggage, lets just say we were not at our best)


Crazy Times Square

Oh look, there's Macys! (just don't make me go in there)












Troy in the light room thingy watsit at Top of the Rock









My awesome paella at Little Brazil.












Troy at the Rockerfeller centre.









Me getting my Kate Moss on in gum boots.




 





Love to all

x

No comments:

Post a Comment